Wednesday, May 26, 2010

A Proud and Not So Proud Parenting Moment

The hard work is paying off... at least for today, or at least for a moment of today!  So I'm going to relish in that moment... no matter how brief it may turn out to be!


Noah has had a tremendously difficult time learning to share... not with his friends, only with his SISTER!  You might recall this post several months ago in which I thought we had had a breakthrough with "it" - the sharing issue.  If it was a breakthrough, unfortunately, it was extremely short lived!


With the addition of our newest little one, the mornings have proven to be a bit of a challenge. For me and for Noah and Emily.  I simply don't seem to have enough hands or enough time to do everything that everyone needs done in the mornings!  As a result, these days, "morning" in my household usually extends from 7:30 am until lunchtime and it is nothing short of chaotic!


But, today...


Today was different... at least for a moment or two.


When I awoke this morning, I didn't hear any little voices calling "Moooommmyyy!".  I knew the kids were awake because I could hear them, but there wasn't any shouting, fighting, or hollering for me.  


It was a much, much different scenario than the usual.


Because Molly was still asleep, I decided to take advantage of this rare opportunity and take a shower.  When I finished, Noah appeared in my bathroom.


He was completely dressed.  Including shoes and glasses!


And then he proudly announced to me...


"Mommy, me and Emily did all the puzzles.  We each had our own pieces to put in the puzzles.  AND we put them all away!"


After giving him sufficient amounts of praise for his independence, he said the following...


"You know.... people always say that sharing is more fun.  I think I'm starting to think they are right!"


Alleluia!  He got it... he finally got it!


He got it... at least for a moment.  But it doesn't matter... he finally got what I have been repeating like a broken record for months... that it is, in fact, more fun to share!


And then, it continued with Noah saying... 


"And now we are going to go and color while you finish getting ready!"


What?!?!  Again, I took advantage of this too-good-to-be-true moment, and blew dry my hair.  When I was finished, I stepped out into the kitchen and this is what I saw...




Yep!  It was a proud parenting moment for sure.  And the fact that I was actually showered with semi-styled hair was just the icing on the cake!


Later...


a not so proud moment occurred.


I was shuffling the kids out the door to run some errands.  After all, I had to take advantage of the aforementioned shower and hair thing!  I had my keys in hand, 2 kids in the garage on their way to the van, and I was in the process of turning on the alarm system, when Noah asked me where we were going.  


I responded that we were going to run some errands, to which he wanted to know what kind of errands.  Thank goodness the kid has the curious mind that he does because it forced me to tell him that one of the errands was getting diapers for Molly.


Molly!!!!


Where was Molly?!  


I don't know how it is even possible to forget this sweet angel face, but regrettably, it happened! 


She wasn't even in her car seat!  
I almost walked out the door and left my 2 month baby in her room!


So there you have it!  A day with a proud and not-so-proud parenting moment! 


And speaking of that sweet little girl... the one who almost got left behind... she is two months old today.  


Though it's hard to believe, we've had two months filled with lots of moments with Miss Molly... some proud, some not-so-much, some frustrating, some joyful, some emotional, some incoherent... but mostly, the moments from the past two months have been filled with overwhelming thanksgiving for this sweet little girl who has been entrusted to our care.  




Thank you, Jesus, for each and every moment you give me with my children!  

No comments: