Saturday, December 28, 2013

Odd

Hello, little blog.

It's nice to see you again.

I've been markedly absent for a few months.  The reason being the chaos of life in general, as well as feeling a bit odd... emotionally and physically; leaving me with little energy or time to type out my thoughts and life moments in this little space that I have grown to love.

Vance and I celebrated our 15th wedding anniversary at the beginning of October.  We escaped for a kid-free weekend in Kansas City to relax and to shop model homes for floor plans in anticipation of potentially building a new house next year.  

Unbeknownst to us, that weekend trip marked the beginning of these odd feelings; both physical and emotional.

Little did we know as we shopped floor plans that offered 4 kid bedrooms on one floor that God was at work changing up our family dynamic... this time, making it odd in number {again}.  And making the need to shop for house plans more necessary than we knew as we walked the floors of those model homes.

After feeling, well... odd, for over a month, we were shocked and surprised to discover that our family would, once again, become odd in number in the summer of 2014.

The physical oddness is to be expected in early pregnancy.  But my physical symptoms are slightly different than in my previous 4 pregnancies; leaving a worrier like myself trying (much too often) to contemplate the reasons for those differences.  Things just feel different.  Odd.  And at nearly 13 weeks, I have officially entered the awkward and well... odd stage of pregnancy in which I don't look pregnant, just fat.  

But the emotional oddness is what has been affecting me more profoundly this time.  I remember the mixed and strange reactions we received when we shared that we were expecting our {planned} fourth pregnancy.  So wondering what kind of reactions we would get when we shared this {surprise} fifth pregnancy felt even more odd.  We knew we would get odd looks and reactions as well as unsolicited comments about whether or not we understand "how these things happen."  For the record, we do!  We also know how odd this news might seem to the eyes of society at large.  And thinking about all of this made us feel odd about sharing the news.

And so we held it close to us for as long as we could.  When the physical symptoms proved to be too difficult to hide any longer, we began to selectively share the news with close family and friends.  We are blessed immensely with family and friends who share our openness to life and reject societal norms about "what a family should look like."  We didn't get a single odd reaction from anyone.  Just smiles, words of heartfelt congratulations, and offers to help in any and every way.

And then we told our kids.

Without a single second of hesitation, they each smiled from ear to ear and showed us a sparkle in their eyes as they exclaimed "yea!"  Not a second thought about whether or not having another sibling would be odd for them.  Just excitement and immediate predictions about whether it would be a brother or sister.  

The next day, I went to their school to attend Mass.  As I entered the building, I was greeted with a big hug and words of "congratulations" from the school principal.  When I looked surprised by her greeting, she quickly told me that Noah had come to her that morning and asked her to pray for me (over the school intercom) because I had not been feeling well because I was pregnant.  No thoughts of whether or not another sibling would be an infringement on his life... just simple excitement and concern for his mother.

And with that act of compassion by Noah, the beans were officially spilled and our surprising news spread.

Regardless of the unexpected and overall positive reactions to our news, I still feel odd about it... even today.

Perhaps it's because I'm increasingly worried about my age; which is "advanced" by child-bearing standards.

Perhaps it's because I feel my life is in constant chaos and the idea of adding another layer feels a bit crazy.

Perhaps it's because although we will always maintain an openness to life, my head felt like Abby was the last one.

Perhaps it's because I'm being offered additional tests to "rule out" complications which is making my mind fret with fear and allowing anxiety over health concerns to consume me.

Perhaps it's because I find myself thinking about things such as how I will fit 5 car seats into my mini-van or where a 5th baby bed will reside in our already cramped living quarters.

Or perhaps it's because this is the first true surprise... the only one that we didn't think was a possibility.  

Whatever the reason for my feelings of oddness, I am certain of just one thing... but it's a very important "thing".  

It's this:  I am 100% certain that this is God's plan and will for our life.  There are very few moments in life where a person can assert that level of certainty about something.  I don't think I have ever experienced this degree of certainty about responding to God's call and knowing in the depths of my soul that I am walking in His will.  And that's a pretty great feeling!

Even though we thought our life was heading in a different direction, we remained open to allow God to reveal His plan to us should it be different than our own.  Turns out, it was different.  And the only reason we know that is because we did nothing to stop Him from revealing this plan.  That is why I can be so certain in my statement that this is God's plan for us. 

No matter how odd it might seem to society and no matter how odd it might feel to me right now, this is God's plan.

And I can trust it.  

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh Danielle, CONGRATS!!!! Be assured of my prayers for those ODD feelings to be gone! I love these words by St. Theresa of Avila: "Let nothing disturb you, let nothing afright you, all things are passing, God never changes, patient endurance obtains all it strives for, with God as my portion, nothing is wanting. Alone God suffices."

Erika Marie said...

Oh wow! Congratulations to you and your family!
I know how you're feeling - about the oddness of feeling like you have to be protective about sharing the news of yet another one.
I felt this way with our 4th for some strange reason - despite how open we are to life and all that in word it was hard to accept it in my head and in reality. I remember talking with a priest about it and he said, "Why? Why would you be embarrassed to share the news that God has blessed you with life?!" I loved his perspective and he is right.
I also read something recently about "God's Will" regarding family planning. The author made a good point that it's not necessarily about whether or not it is God's Will to have/not have another. But that when we remain open and make certain decisions - remaining open throughout that decision - God works with us and guides us to add our choices into His Will. I hope that makes sense.
Anyway, I'll pray for you - that you will have genuine and joyful PEACE about all this. And since this really might be your "last one" - enjoy it - soak it in, live it and LOVE.

Unknown said...

Oh Dani,
What a blessing!!! Another little soul to mold and guide in the direction of the Lord. I think this pregnancy is God's way of saying what a phenomenal job you've done with the treasures he's entrusted to you so far!!! I remember long ago you were worried about being able to conceive - guess that worry was put to rest!!! Don't worry about what others may think, forge ahead in faith, with the grace of God as your guide, and enjoy every crazy, joy filed day with your children. The days pass so quickly and one day you will miss all the commotion and mess!!!

So glad to see you posting again - I've missed your posts so much!!!

Julie

Anonymous said...

Give me a break. When you do nothing to prevent it, don't act shocked.

Danielle @ Living Out Loud said...

Dear "Anonymous",
I always find it interesting that negative commenters hide behind the veil of "Anonymous". Nevertheless, I feel the need to address your comment because I suspect you are someone I personally know. I am unashamedly open to life. And I have shared via this blog my personal journey to get to that point of openness. I have also shared the great blessing and JOY that have accompanied my decision to allow God to participate in planning the size of my family in the way He best sees fit. I realize that this view is in direct opposition to the mainstream idea of family planning (and likely yours). However, let me be clear: while my openness may lead to a surprise pregnancy (I never used the word shocked - that was your word), sharing that surprise and the emotional challenges that accompany it in NO WAY equates to being upset, mad, or angry about it. You seemed to miss that point in my post. Being surprised, but still trusting God in this situation, brings me great joy and comfort and I would NEVER change it! Our entire family is excited to welcome another life... despite knowing it will bring more nights of unrest, financial obligations, etc. You will likely not understand this position and I don't care if you agree with it or not. But please refrain from posting further negative comments in this space, especially under the guise of being "anonymous". If you disagree or if my writing hits a nerve with you, please simply refrain from reading it. Thank you.

Elizabeth said...

Don't let "anonymous" mar the joy of this baby Danielle! Your family's openness to God's gift of life and the love it brings with is is beautiful and inspirational. Please continue to share your story. It is only through bravery such as yours in handling the everyday surprises and challenges that, while not planned for are by no means a shock, that we grow in grace. Your example of trusting in God is exactly what this world needs to be a happier place. Prayers for you and your family :)

The B Family said...

AMEN, Sister!!!! Keep trusting and knowing that the life you live is a life that He loves and honors and blesses!!! I am SO happy for you and your beautiful family! His plans are always the BEST! :) Can't wait to see what's in store with this precious little love! Praying for you, dear! May His JOY abound and perfect peace give you rest in Him! Love you!

Anonymous said...

So you know, I am Catholic. Okay, so shocked was the wrong word. But how can you be surprised? Good for you that this is a blessing. I'm happy for you. I knew my limit. For many reasons any more kids beyond 3 would have not been a blessing. And no problem being anonymous for me. If it matters my name is Cathy . Just my thoughts.