I was recently at a party where a guest was agonizing over whether or not she could purchase a large hurricane to use in the center of her dining room table. She was concerned that when she filled the hurricane, it would be too tall... hitting her chandelier. When I suggested that she not put her hurricane in the center of her table, but off-center, she looked at me as if I were crazy!
I think her reaction is one that is likely shared by many... the notion that all decor must reside in the center of a table. They are called CENTERpieces, after all! But today I'm going to suggest that you shake things up a bit and consider trying an Off-Centerpiece on one of your tables! Not only do off-centerpieces allow you to use larger, taller items (because they don't interfere with hanging light fixtures), they also keep the view behind your table unobstructed.
I have opted to use an Off-Centerpiece in my Dining Room. I liked the idea of using items of large scale on my table, but I didn't like the idea of those large items obstructing the view of my buffet and wall picture behind my table. The solution: an off-centerpiece!
In August, I brought the fabulous Lady Jane Bottleneck Vases to be the mainstay of my table vignette. I love their color. Love their size. Love their glass. Love that you don't need much to fill them. Love that you can get great height with them. Just plain love them!
My Off-Centerpiece looked like this:
| (notice that you can see the WHOLE buffet/picture in the back - unobstructed} |
![]() |
| {don't be afraid to add HEIGHT to your containers... it will make your space look LARGER!} |
| {i added the cute little drake firefly lanterns to my chandelier... making the OFF-centerpiece even more desirable} |
![]() |
| {a few pumpkins added for fall} |
| {greenery branches replaced the fall branches & wise men added for christmas} |
And here is what it looks like today...
| {i couldn't help myself... i broke out a few bunnies!} |
| {the branches in the large vase were changed to add some spring color} |
| {again, don't be afraid of HEIGHT... a few TALL branches makes a nice statement} |
Bonus Tip: There are so many great "permanent" floral items you can use for glass containers and vases. Just be sure to select your permanent's carefully. Some look real. Some definitely don't! Pottery Barn has some suggestion for decorating with faux flowers here. But for goodness sakes, I can't believe the prices PB charges for a single branch! Hobby Lobby has equally real-looking permanents (in my opinion) AND you can always get them 50% off! I tend to gravitate to the last aisle of florals in Hobby Lobby. On the back side of the last aisle is where I find the best, most natural looking branches.
Psst... my friend, Monica used the split pea tip from a previous WH Wednesday post! She made herself a quick, simple and inexpensive candle arrangement and totally flattered me by showing it on her blog! So for heaven's sake, if you use a tip, please let me know! I'd love to showcase YOUR pictures here too!



1 comment:
Hey, thanks for the shout-out!! I actually used the rest of the split peas as a centerpiece (in the middle of ;-D ) my table. In a Willow House bowl we got for our wedding actually! I stuck another candle in and put some little bunnies around it and it looks very nice.
I actually might use this idea too, we have this side-server buffet table against our banister, and originally we had a big (real looking) fake orchid plant on it and two things on either side but it just always drives me crazy. Too busy. Plus the orchid kind of blocks the big wrought iron thing we have on the wall. SO I'm thinking of moving the orchid off center, putting a 5x7 frame in front of it and seeing how that looks. It looks okay by itself, just a little too plain. Who knows. So many options...
Thanks again, I really do enjoy your tips.
Post a Comment