Saturday, September 25, 2010

The Birds, The Bees & Church Bells

Noah is a very inquisitive child.  He is eager to learn, takes in everything around him, remembers everything, and ponders what I would consider questions that are well beyond his years.


So it wasn't a surprise to me when he questioned how Molly got inside of my tummy when I was pregnant.


My response to him was that Jesus did it... it was a miracle. 


His childlike faith accepted my simple explanation.


We haven't talked about that particular "birds & bees" kind of miracle in quite some time.


*****


Catholics believe in what is called the Eucharist.  It is different than what most other Christian faiths refer to as Communion or the Lord's Supper.  


The Eucharist is not merely a symbol.  We believe that, through the power of the Holy Spirt, the bread becomes the actual body of Christ.  Every time we approach the altar, we approach Christ Himself.  Not figuratively.  Not symbolically.  But Physically!  He is physically present in the form of bread.  


The way I have always attempted to explain it to Noah is this:  


It looks like bread.
It tastes like bread.
But it's not really bread.
It's Jesus.
It's a miracle.


At the moment of consecration, when the bread becomes body, bells ring to signify this great mystery of faith.  And in my efforts to engage my children in the celebration of the Mass, I've always encouraged Noah to "listen for the miracle."   And that he does!  His eyes light up when he hears the bells, often reminding me that the miracle is happening at that very moment.


It is impossible to wrap my human mind around the Eucharist.  It is, like many matters of faith (how about the Trinity!), impossible for me to understand with human reason.  That's why it is called a mystery of faith.


If my mature mind can't comprehend it, imagine how difficult such a concept might be for a toddler.


Or is it?


*****


A few nights ago, we were watching Yo Gabba Gabba (which I despise, but that's beside the point!).  A little girl named Catherine came on to showcase her dance moves.


For some reason, Catherine and her dancing prompted the following conversation: 


Noah:  Mom, if we had another baby, we could name her Catherine.


Me:  That is a pretty name.  Would you like to have another brother or sister?


Noah:  Yes.  I'd really like to have a brother though because I already have two sisters.


Pause


Mom, you know when Jesus put Molly in your tummy...


Pause


Did He do that during church?  


Pause


You know, when the bells ring?


*****


What a wonderful reminder a child's faith is to me!  


Noah needs no further explanation.  He  just simply believes.


To him, a miracle is a miracle.


Whether He's putting a baby inside my tummy or making Himself physically present in the Eucharist, it is clear to Noah...


Jesus can do anything!


Especially when the bells are ringing!




Truly, truly I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of man and drink his blood, you have no life within you; he who eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day.  For my flesh is food indeed, and my blood is drink indeed.  He who eats my flesh and drinks my blood abides in me, and I in him.
~ John 6:53-56

3 comments:

The B Family said...

Precious story! Love that sweet boy!

Michelle R said...

Very cute. I have always told Keira (and now Luke) to listen for the bells because that means that Jesus is here. Keira still takes a look forward every time that she hears them. :)

Erika Marie said...

i loved this! I love how his mind is connecting the miracle of babies and the miracle of the Eucharist. You should read him the Theology of the Body next! ;)