"Mom, how do you die an ant?"
To which I responded, "You smash it with your hand!"
His response: "No way, I can't do that! It might stain my hand!"
**********
ORIGINAL POST:
"How do you get him to sit still for an hour while you get your nails done?"
"What do you mean he doesn't climb on your furniture?"
"How do you get him to obey on the first attempt?"
and I quickly learned that Noah's behavior and demeanor had much less to do with my parenting skills than I had thought! Of course, I believe that nurture plays a large part in a child's personality and behavior, but I quickly realized that, to a large extent, he was just born that way! I had to give much of the credit to the God who created him!
And Emily Kate... well, let's just say that God definitely made these two as different as two can be!
It even started with my pregnancies...
Emily Kate, on the other hand, moved all the time! With her, I felt those huge kicks that I had heard other mother's describe. I could actually see her moving around my belly. She moved all the time... and still does!
I marvel, almost daily, at their God-given differences.
As Different as Two Can Be!
**********
(cleaning his hands and asking me for a wipe after feeding a goat at the petting zoo)
(discovering an ant family)
(stomping on said ant family with dirty, bare feet)
Noah has always been content to allow me to assist him with things such as getting dressed or brushing his teeth and never argues with me over what I've picked for him to wear.
Emily Kate... if she can't do it by herself, it doesn't happen (very easily)! She is even ready to start changing her own diaper and loves to dress herself (even if the clothes happen to be her brother's underwear!). On several occasions, I have gone to get her from her bed... only to find a completely NAKED baby girl pointing towards her diaper drawer!
(one of said self-dressing experiences)
**********
Emily Kate... she never flinched at a loud bang and clapped with delight at the "pretties" in the sky. She ran towards the "launch pad" and even took a taste of one firework.
Emily Kate... she lunges into the water and I can't keep her face out of it!
Noah loves to watch movies and kids programs on TV. When he was colicky for almost 3/4 of the first year of his life, I learned that Baby Einstein videos calmed him down. At the time I felt "mom guilt" for allowing him to watch much more than the American Academy of Pediatrics "recommended viewing times"! But... when he knew all of his colors and shapes on his 2nd birthday, I decided that Baby Einstein really was educational and abandoned my "guilt"! Today, he still loves to watch TV and has an attention span that seems unparalleled for a 4 year old.
Emily Kate... she doesn't care a thing about TV! In fact, I'm actually a little disappointed in this because I'm not sure she will rival Noah's milestone in shape and color recognition without the help of Baby Einstein!
I only need to give Noah a stern look, followed by a sternly voiced "No, Sir" in order to deter unwanted behavior. He immediately obeys (most of the time!).
Emily Kate... she thinks that look combined with a stern "No, Mam" is some kind of a joke. She laughs at me and keeps right on doing whatever behavior I am trying to deter! I actually had to (gently) give her a little spank this weekend to show her that "No" is not funny... she cried. Not because she was hurt but because I think I hurt her feelings for not playing along in her little game!
If I tell Noah to stand and/or sit somewhere, he does it and doesn't move. Even at birthday parties, when the other kids start surrounding the birthday child during present opening time, Noah stays put. The same was true at his school field trip... when all the other kids started to surround the horse demonstrator, Noah stayed "behind the line" where he was told to stand!
(this is where they all started... where they were placed by the teacher)
(this is where they ended up... Noah is the only one still in place!)
Emily Kate... she doesn't stand still... ever! She is like a teeny tiny Energizer Bunny... she just moves and runs from place to place... all the time!
(I don't know why the picture is turned this way, but you get the picture anyway!)
**********
Noah does a great job of looking at the camera, on command, and giving his cheesy "cheese" smile.Emily Kate... she just plain rarely looks at the camera at all... despite plenty of prodding!
But every once in a great while, she proves my assumption wrong and gives me a picture perfect grin...
For years, I've listened to friends and mothers proclaim the differences among their children and now I know what they are talking about! For as you can see, my Noah Robert & Emily Kate truly are as different as two can be! But I love them both and truly enjoy experiencing the differences between them... even though I am picking up a lot more messes, tending to "owies" and just plain running around (or should I say chasing) more these days!
4 comments:
Oh my goodness...I know exactly what you mean! Wyatt is a fairly easy child (understood and stayed in time out at 11 months, still obeys on the first command, mostly, and is quite content sitting still just about anywhere). It takes him a little while to warm up to others even when he knows them well. He's just more cautious and reserved at first...checking out the situation first. He would just sort of stretch a little in utero but never a big kicker. Luke, on the other hand, has already managed to kick a plate off of my belly & is in constant motion! Oh, if this is a sign of things to come! Heaven help me!!! This is going to be fun!
Thanks for sharing more about your two babies!
Love~ Rebecca
Precious!!!
Bentley is starting to take her diaper off too. ha!!
Melanie and Claire are also starting to show quite a few differences as well. It's amazing how unique each child is despite coming from the same parents! God truly is amazing!
Wow! I thought maybe you were writing this about me and my kids! That's funny! It's so weird how different they all are! You are such a great writer too!
Post a Comment