Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Celebrating the Little Things...

In the spirit of why I created this blog in the first place, I thought I'd start to document some of the "little things" that make my life so entertaining and blessed! I think I will continue this tradition on a regular basis... after all, it is the primary reason I started writing about my life! I love forcing myself to embrace these "little things"... it's already impacting how I live my daily life!

So... here are a few of the little things that have made me smile (and sometimes cringe with frustration!) in the past few weeks...

~ Snuggling with sweet-smelling, freshly washed babies!

~ Seeing Noah genuinely thrilled to make his home-made Valentines!





The glitter galore portion of this craft made me cringe, ever so slightly, for several days! It was worth it though when Noah told me in his ever-so-precious voice...

"Thanks Mom, for doing with project with me. I love it!"

~ Allowing Noah to wear his new soccer jersey every day...

even though it involves him making 2-3 clothing changes per day... letting go, letting go...

He is so excited to be on a soccer team (he's just signed up... he hasn't even started yet!) that he asks to wear his "jersey" everday. We then play 2 or 3 person soccer games all day long!

~ OK... so this one might be one that made me cringe with frustration...

However, I did take a step back and laugh out loud when I really saw how I can destroy my kitchen in such a short period of time! I wish it were because I was making gourmet meals that my family devoured...

Unfortunately, in my kitchen, it's generally macaroni & cheese or sandwiches and a struggle to get either child to eat any of it! Oh how I wish I were more domestically blessed in the cooking department!

Oh well... letting go, letting go...

~ Being "okay" with the fact that it's just easier to feed Emily naked!

She seems to be happier playing that way too!


~ Discovering that the "poncho-style" bibs that YaYa made for Sissy acutally work!


She can't pull them off and they cover ALL of her shirt... and that, my friends, is definitely something worth celebrating!

~ Embracing Sissy's messes... well, maybe "embrace" is a strong word...
but I'm letting her make them!

She seems to genuinely enjoy toilet paper shredding. I think it's a second favorite to emptying the Crest White Strips and "feminine products" from underneath my bathroom cabinet!


Oh well... letting go, letting go....

~ A sleeping baby. Period.


A sleeping baby is worth celebrating for several reasons!

1. Because it means I can sleep! And...

2. Because it is one of the sweetest sights in the world!

~ Seeing how EXCITED Noah was when he buttoned up his own PJ's for the first time!


He was on Cloud 9... literally! His exact words to Vance were...

"Dad... you have to watch this... it's going to be UNBELIEVABLE!"


You know what I think is unbelievable?

The excitement and sense of pride he had in learning to do something on his own! I hope I can always instill a sense of pride and esteem in my children... it's one of the "parenting" things I want most to be able to do.

I digress....

~ This one is really worth celebrating...
My "wild child" rarely relaxes or calms down enough to rest her sweet head on my shoulder.

BUT...

When I get her "softie" for bedtime, she instinctively nestles her little face into the "softie" and hence, into my shoulder.

I love it!

Of course, we couldn't capture this "sweetness" on camera!
And... she has even been falling asleep on my shoulder at bedtime...

Sometimes, I just stay in her room holding her like that and trying to memorize what it feels like to hold her tiny, sweet body in my arms...

It's something I want to never forget... ever!

~ Letting Noah hang out on the countertop and play with the Ipod...

I know it should be "against the rules" to let him play on the countertop, but he loves it so much. And... as a bonus, it keeps him entertained for quite a long time!


~ Seeing the excitement Noah had when he got "all the way" to the middle of his first "Blow Pop"!

He actually got the gum and boy, was he excited! He couldn't believe it!

His exact words to me were...

"Mom... you're begenius!"

My response... belly laughter accompanied by... "I'm begenius?"

"Yes! Do you know what that means?"

My response... "No, what does begenious mean?"

"It means you have really good ideas!"

Aren't (almost) 4 year olds fun?

Talk about finding joy in the little things in life... Noah really does that on a daily basis. I can learn a lot from him... and I am!

Oh! and one more....

Watching the Bachelor with my hubby!
I love watching TV with him and we rarely want to watch the same thing. However, the Bachelor gives us enormous amounts of enjoyment!

So that's it for this installment of "Celebrating the Little Things". I'll end this post with one final picture....


I had to incude it because it's a rarity that I get a photo of both kids looking at the camera and smiling! This was taken before church a few weeks ago and they just looked so darn cute!

So here's to celebrating the little things in my life and to Living Out Loud!

1 comment:

Monica said...

I LOVE rocking Gemma to sleep. I'm with you, sometimes I just sit in there and hold her and look at my sweet little bundle sleeping peacefully in my arms. My heart feels so full. Pure joy.