Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Different Days

There are days when I am so proud of Noah's selfless behavior towards his sister that I could just burst.  For example, a week or so ago, Noah earned a trip to the coveted "Treasure Chest" at school.  This is a very exciting thing for a 1st grader; not to mention it takes some time to earn this special privilege.  In order to pick a piece of junk treasure from the "Treasure Chest", a student has to have earned 10 "bugs" for good behavior.  And on this particular day, it was only Noah's 3rd time to get to indulge in the pile of junk treasures.  When I picked him up from school that day, he excitedly told me of his accomplishment.  I was proud that he had earned the trip for his good behavior, but  the part that made me really proud is this...


He told me that instead of picking something for himself this time, he picked something for Emily!  He went on to tell me that he had chosen to make a sacrifice because "there was something in there that {he} really wanted!"  


His "sacrificial" trip to the "Treasure Chest" resulted in a very small container of bubbles.  Emily was completely delighted to receive this treasure from her brother.  And I think he was pretty delighted to be able to give it to her too!


It is days and moments like that one that make me feel like I'm doing something right as a parent! 


And then there are the different kind of days...


Days that end in Noah writing this note to his sister...

{Translation:  "I'm sorry for trying to suffocate you; especially after Mommy just gave us a HUGE lecture about the dangers of putting pillows on people's heads.  I know I could've killed you, but you seemed to think it was funny so I did it anyway.  And I'm sorry for nearly defecating you in the bathroom.  I thought that would be funny too.  But I am sorry and I love you."}


At least he wrote the second page!


Even with the apology note (written completely independently), these are the kind of days that make me question the effectiveness of my parenting skills!  


So I just never know what kind of a day I'm going to have around here... hoping that today is a "story #1" kind of a day!

2 comments:

The B Family said...

Your translation is hysterical!!!!! I love it! They keep us on our toes, don't they?

Molly said...

Stories about Noah being sweet to Emily always make me cry. He is so awesome. As for pooping by Emily, well all days can't be perfect, right? :)