After just posting about the "hay" in my previous post, I was treated to what I am going to call some "fruit" from the hay activity today.
I opened up Noah's backpack as I do every day in the front seat of the car. Friday's are always interesting because Friday is library day. And Noah gets to pick two books each Friday to take home for a week.
Let me back up a bit. One Friday in early December, I opened up his backpack and saw this:
It delighted me in so, so many ways! Noah picked one book for himself and one book for his sister! And his selection was so perfect for her... he picked something he knew she would really like! I was so proud... it was one of those parenting moments that make all of the "hard work" worth it! I basked in the glow of this selfless act for days!
The following Friday's, he reverted back to picking two books of his own liking. He loves picking the books, so I completely understood and supported his choice to pick books for himself. It is, after all, his special time at his school!
But today...
TODAY he did it again! He picked a "Creepy Crawly" book for himself and a Berenstein Bear's Christmas book for Emily! That, in and of itself, delighted me once again.
But the best part was yet to come...
The real "fruit" came a minute or two later...
As we pulled out of the school parking lot, he said to me:
"I had a different book in my hand. One about Planets. But I decided to put it down and get that one for Emily instead."
I was beyond delighted! He actually had selected a completely different book for himself. And one about Planets... which is one of his most favorite topics of interest! And he decided to PUT IT DOWN and choose something different for his sister!
That, my dear son, is a sacrifice! That is giving up something for yourself and giving to someone else instead! That is kindness at it's core. That is spontaneous, thoughtful, selfless, generous... all the things we worked to "get a hay" for in December!
That is "fruit".
1 comment:
Hooray for Noah! That is too sweet! I can't wait to hopefully one day get to witness these same fruits begin to ripen in our girls. Thanks for sharing :)
Post a Comment