Friday, November 16, 2012

Simply the BEST

I am not timid in my admission that parenting four small children is not all fun and games.  It's work.  Real, hard work.  And on some days, I get so fatigued from the hard work that I fail to see the simple joy that is woven in and among the hard work.

But then there are the days when the hard work part of parenting is pushed aside and I am able to experience simple joy of parenthood.

Parenthood is unique in that it can render up moments of extreme frustration; only to have it replaced by moments of  complete and simple joy. 

Moments like hearing laughter among all four children rising up from the basement on a Saturday morning only to peek down the staircase to see this...



Moments like these... well, they are simply the BEST part of parenting!  

I could choose to see that...
~ The cushions and pillows are ripped from the couch.
~ Blankets & stuffed animals cover the space where the cushions used to reside.
~ Three out of four children are wearing pajamas instead of clothes.
~ There is furniture jumping taking place.

But that's not what I saw when I looked down that staircase.  

Instead, I saw joy.
Four children laughing.
Playing together.  
Using their imaginations.  
Happy.

This is the kind of simple joy that comes from having a house filled with four small children.  It's interlaced with many moments of exhaustion and frustration.  But I am working hard to not see the work; choosing to instead focus on the joy.  And when I open my eyes wide enough, I am able to see that the joy-filled moments are plentiful; abundant even.  And those kinds of joy-filled, make-your-heart-swell moments... well, they are simply the BEST.  

Totally and completely worth all the hard work!

1 comment:

The B Family said...

Precious!!! Love those 4 sweet babies!

I so struggle with exactly this same thing. It's good to let go a little...and hard...but mostly good! :)