Friday, June 10, 2011

A Happy Retirement

I generally have a feeling of sadness each time I have to retire a baby item to the basement storage closet.  The retirements are a visual reminder to me that a stage of babyhood has once again passed  and that time is moving much too quickly.  


The first item to go is usually the Moses Basket, followed by the swing and the bouncy seat.  Then comes the bassinet, the Bumbo seat, and the playmats, followed by the bigger and more monumental retirements like the infant carrier car seat and the associated stroller.  And while I'm always admittedly a little happy to have these cumbersome objects not serve as the main items of decor in my living room, I am still sad to see them go into retirement.


With one exception...










The "little potty"!


I have never been a fan of "little potty's".  I can remember watching "John & Kate Plus 8" (back when it was actually an endearing show), and she had little potty's all over the house to assist with potty training.  I remember thinking how disgusting that idea was... little "bins" of potty all over the house - yuck!


I didn't use a "little potty" with Noah.  The thought of one just truthfully just grossed me out.  


But as with most things, what worked for child #1 did not work for child #2 and before I knew it, I found myself standing in the "little potty" aisle of Babies R Us.  And that's when the pink "little potty" became a new decoration in my kids' bathroom.  Much to my delight, Emily quickly learned to use this potty as opposed to her panties.  Much to my dismay though, I often walked into the bathroom and found the little "bin" filled with stinky potty.  As I said... yuck!  After Emily had observed me doing the "potty dump" into the big potty enough times, she began to take care of the "dumping" on her own.  


All was good.  She felt independent.  I was happy not to have to see that "bin" of potty anymore.  Aside from the nightly cleaning, the "little potty" didn't bother me that much anymore.


Until Tuesday of this week!


You see, I had always assumed my little Emmie had been doing the "potty dump" correctly... into the big potty.  It seems I was incorrect in that assumption!   Through a most unfortunate incident this week, I learned that she was not doing the "potty dump" into the potty, rather she was dumping it into the sink... yuck!


How did I discover the error in her method?






When I saw a real "DUMP" sitting stinkily inside the sink!


And that, my friends, led to the official retirement of the pink "little potty"!


And unlike most objects within this closet, I'm not anxiously awaiting the day when I have to remove this object from its new home on the top shelf!  


It is a happy retirement indeed!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is hilarious! And hooray for being able to retire the little potty!

Elizabeth said...

I am also not a fan of the potty chair. Melanie would use both the potty chair and just one of those little rings that sits on the regular toilet seat (that I got for the 1/2 bath since it isn't big enough to have a potty chair in there and I didn't want to have to haul M all the way to the 2nd floor from the basement while we were potty training). Claire only remembers seeing Melanie use the ring though, so she won't even use the little potty. I must admit I like that better, even if it does mean there is always a step stool out so she can get on the big toilet. Happy retirement!