My lovely, sweet husband and father sent me, my mom and Molly on a girl's getaway trip for a few days while the "big kids" went on a special trip to stay with their YaYa.
The destination?
Austin, Texas.
10 years ago, Vance and I drove a U-Haul containing all of our belongings straight down I-35 from Minneapolis, MN to Austin, TX. And Austin has claimed a special place in our hearts ever since.
We simply loved living in Austin. Vance was attending graduate school full time and I was working to support us. We were not yet parents and the day to day worries and responsibilities that we now face were far from our minds. We gulped up Austin and all of the fun it had to offer. The two years that Vance was in MBA school were two of the most fun years we have had in our married life, thanks in large part to the city of Austin.
All that to say that any chance we get, we head south to revisit some of our favorite Austin spots.
So when Vance said that I needed a break, the destination was naturally Austin.
We spent 3 full days visiting the same places that I often frequented during those carefree days from years ago. But this time, something was different.
As I stood in front of a mirror in a dressing room, I couldn't help but wonder what happened...
to my collarbone,
to my cheekbones,
to my waist,
to me!
I barely recognized the person staring back at me in the mirror!
And it wasn't just my lack of collarbone that was different. There was more.
Instead of shopping in the cutesy boutiques for fun clothing,
I visited the "maternity and nursing boutique" in search of new nursing bras.
Instead of picking up unique trinkets in the specialty shops,
I picked up 2 rattles and a new brand of diapers in Babies R Us.
Instead of eating only one fajita and sipping on my favorite strawberry/lime swirl at the Hula Hut,
I ate a full three fajitas and sipped on plain water.
Instead of purchasing fun new cosmetics at Sephora,
I purchased baby sun screen and "healthy" deodorant.
Instead of going to my beloved Vickmay for a facial to bring out my natural youthful glow,
I went in hopes of having the brown "pregnancy mask" that made it's way onto my face over the course of the past years lightened.
Instead of buying fun new shoes for myself,
I purchased new "flip flops" for my kids.
What happened to me?
Well...
I turned 35 instead of 25.
I became a grown up.
I started caring less about what other people think of me and more about what God thinks of me.
And most importantly, I became a mother.
That's what happened to me!
So I may not have a collarbone, a waist, cute clothes, fun makeup, new shoes, or milky white skin anymore...
BUT I do have something that is far, far more valuable than any of those things.
I have them...
And three new nursing bras and five new pair of underwear over which I am extremely giddy!
I mean, really, who needs cute clothes when you can rock a really great nursing bra!
Now if I could only get the "healthy" deodorant to keep me from stinking, things would be grand!
7 comments:
This really did make me laugh out loud :D Glad you had a good trip - you definitely deserved a break! I envy your bra shopping though. I wish I could find a really good nursing bra that I could try on in an actual store instead of ordering online and constantly shipping things back that don't work. Maybe before this next one gets here I can accomplish that.
WHAT?!?! Are you pregnant?!?!?!
Hilarious...love it. And yes, we have lost a lot...but gained so much more. So b.lessed to have these little reminders of how blessed we are. :)
Thanks for your comment today too. Loved it...hugs to you friend!
Amy
I am totally in love with this post. You're such a great mama, Danielle!
Way to rock that nursing bra!! And for what it's worth (and yeah, Elizabeth, is there something I'm missing???!!!!!) I've had really good luck with nursing bras from Motherhood Maternity. They have a pretty good selection in store which you can try on, too. Just FYI.
Again, I really enjoyed this post a lot.
LOVE IT!! You make me laugh...thanks!! I think all us Mommas can relate to the giddy feeling we get over new panties and bras...that actually work..lol! I am so glad you had a reflective and inspiring time in Austin. I love it when God turns moments in our lives into simple memories like the ones you made! Have a great fourth sweetheart..you deserve it. And btw, good luck on the nursing bras. After four children, I still couldn't find a decent one!!!
Yes, we are expecting. I'm about 10 weeks along, due in early February. I knew when we had our playdate, we just weren't telling people yet.
And Monica, as for Motherhood nursing bras, they don't carry my size in store, nobody does. I guess it isn't worth the space to stock my size for the general public :P
haha this was great, I totally relate! Well at least we have the beautiful kids to proove we haven't lost our cheekbones for nothing!
Elizabeth-if you haven't already you might ask Debi about where to find some good bras.
Post a Comment