Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Spiritual Thoughts of a 4 Year Old

Noah has become very interested in his bible stories and the topic of heaven.

In imitation of his Nonny, he holds "bible studies" in our home and has even begun to memorize the books of the bible.

As we were having one of said "bible studies" last night, I was asking him some "review questions" on the book of Exodus. In response to me asking Noah what happened when God's people got hungry in the dessert, the following conversation took place:

Noah: "God gave them little pieces of bread to eat from heaven."

Me: "That's right!"

Noah: "Is that all God gave them?"

Me: "Yes, God provided everything that they needed."

Noah: "But why didn't he give them some hamburgers or something else too?"

I got a laugh out of that one :)

We've been talking a lot about heaven as we do our "bible studies" too. It is a difficult concept for Noah to understand and he has obvious questions about the concept of going to heaven.

After talking one evening about his Grandpa Bob and his Grandma Bert who live in heaven, the following conversation took place as I tucked him into bed...

Noah: "Mom, you don't go to heaven until you're really old, right?"

Me: "Well, we hope so. But sometimes young people, even children, go to heaven."

Noah: "So when you are about 30, you get to go to heaven?"

Me: laughing... "I hope not! Because Mommy is already older than 30!"

After a some additional discussion about heaven, I tucked him to bed. About 15 minutes later, I heard the pitter patter of 4 year old feet coming my way. My immediate response was to sternly tell him to get back in bed, but he interrupted me saying...

Noah: "But mom, I have to ask you something important."

Me: "OK, what is it?"

Noah: "How do you get to heaven."

Me: "Well, you have to love Jesus and try to follow his rules...."

I followed by a lot of other desperate attempts to explain salvation to a 4 year old, when I was interrupted by...

Noah: "But mom, I mean HOW do you get to heaven! Do you walk there or what?"

Me: After a brief attempt to explain body and soul, I finally gave up and just said "It's a miracle"

He was satisfied enough to go on back to bed!

I'm going to have to beef up on my ability to answer the spiritual thoughts of a 4 year old!

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

That's too funny!

Melanie just came across a small plastic statue of Mary that we found when unpacking and she wanted to know who it was, so we're slowly starting to add little bits of knowledge to her faith foundation (in addition to meal and night prayers). I think the biggest appeal of Mary is that her statue is easy for Melanie to carry around - she's made a trip or two to the potty with us already! But whatever chance I can get to teach her something I guess I'll just roll with it! Keep us posted on what works for you guys - I'm sure I'll be able to use it in the not-to-distant future!

southerninspiration said...

oh the mysteries of heaven, yes??? Those are adorable conversations, and so glad you've recorded them. One day he'll get it. Until then, just teach him to love Jesus! You're doing great as a parent, obviously!

Suzanne